FRENCHCONNECT MEMBER INTERVIEW – JF CÉCILLON
JF Cécillon – Founder and CEO at The Universal Matrix LLP:
JF Cécillon is a seasoned global Chief Executive Officer with a thirty year track record in music, games, entertainment, arts and publishing – with strong experience in the digital space, in global management and in international charity events, whose strength lie in delivering growth strategy and managing turnaround/restructuring situations.
His core skill set encompasses high level general management with direct P&L and cash responsibility. JF has a proven ability of marrying the creative talent and business sides of companies resulting in a track record of delivering concrete financial results in major global organisations and in small/mid-size companies.
JF is an inspirational, passionate, and high-energy leader, who focuses on successfully aligning the overall business structure towards a common goal. He is inclusive and has always surrounded himself with high achieving individuals.
The Universal Matrix:
The Universal Matrix LLP is not another of those consultancy boutique… It is focusing on providing senior executive services with direct involvement in delivering the targets and the objectives set. Its purpose and raison d’être is multifaceted and far more hands-on than basic traditional advice.
What service does it offer? Anything from general management to turnaround & restructuring, as well as business development & corporate advisory.
JF’s involvement can range between various types of role and functions: a hire by the Chairman and/or the CEO, a direct report to the CEO or the Board, a hire as a senior member of the management team, a negociator/facilitator between key shareholders and decision makers in and outside the business.
His field of expertise (see full – and impressive! – biography below) includes in particular: Digital Business, Media & Technology, Entertainment & Creative industries, Consumer Markets, and Communication.
The Universal Matrix LLP is therefore particularly suited to start-ups & fast-growing businesses who need senior expertise and involvement, for a fraction of what those key hires usually cost!
- Your chief characteristic?
- Your favourite entrepreneur of the moment?
I would say…a whole generation! Geeks on the West Coast in the 70s. They invented a truly ground-breaking model and created the very first version of the internet as a space of freedom.
- A good VC is…?
- A good co-founder is…?
Inseparable from me.
- Where will you invest your first or next million?
In my future foundation dedicated to medical application of Nano-technology.
- Main quality you value in business?
- Your idea of success?
- Your favourite hero?
Antoine de Saint-Exupery, for his courage.
- Your favourite restaurant in London?
Gagnaire at Sketch W1.
- Your favourite date spot in London?
The Cigar Bar at the Bulgari Hotel, a meeting spot rather!
- Your favourite motto ?
“Success through Perseverance”.
- Your favourite football club?
- Which book would you take on a desert Island?
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons.
- Which film would you take on a desert Island?
The Matrix Trilogy.
- And…which CD would you take on a desert Island?
Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out by the Rolling Stones.
JF Cecillon’s Career in the UK ( from January 1990 to date…)
- Senior Adviser & Acting MD, Waddington Custot Galleries (currently)
- International Advisory Board member, The Cyber Rescue Alliance (currently)
- Founder, Chairman & managing Partner, The Universal matrix LLP (currently)
- Chairman & CEO, EagleMoss Publishing Group
- President du Directoire, Financiere Aurenis
- Digital portfolio: Interim CEO, Investor, Advisor, Board director
- Business Management portfolio : Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber/Jean Michel Jarre
- Vice Chairman, The Really Useful Group Holdings
- Chairman and CEO, EMI Music International
- Chairman and CEO, EMI Music EMEA
- Director of 46664, Nelson Mandela Foundation
- Founder and Managing Partner, Fleming Media
- Founder and Chairman/CEO, The Music Matrix
- CEO, SEGA Europe
- President and CEO, EMI Records Group UK
- Vice president Marketing, EMI Music International